The Benedictine Abbey of Montecassino was build by St Benedict in the 4° Century AC. The Abbey is located in a strategic position between Campania and Lazio. During WW 2 it was at centre of the german defensive line called the GUSTAV LINE. The Allied troops advancing from Sud up to Rome remained blocked south of GUSTAV line for 5 month, german troops positioned with their artillery by the Abbey Montecassino had an easy target on allied troops that from September 1943 tried in vain to break through the gustav line. On February 14 of 1944 General Mark Clark ordered the allied aviation to destroy the Abby. After the war the Abbey was rebuilt as it was before.